1. To increase fish production in the State by judicious management of all the culturable water resources;
2. To develop reservoir fishery of the State with an aim to increase per hectare production from the open impoundments;
3. To undertake breeding programme of Indian and exotic carps, mahseer, trouts and other sub-temperate species for augmenting the seed stocking programme in reservoirs, river and streams; and tributaries;
4. To protect and conserve reservoir and lacustrine fisheries resources of the state;
5. To promote game fishery in the state with particular emphasis on promotion of Tourism;
6. To promote commercial farming of Rainbow Trout in the high altitude areas;
7. To promote aquaculture in the state by providing technical and financial assistance to the fishermen and rural youths;
8. To generate employment opportunities in the fishery sector and ameliorating the condition of fishermen of the state.