Agriculture dominates the economy of the State although because of the mountainous terrain only a little over 10 percent of
the total land area is cultivated. Population pressure on cultivated land is high and the holdings of most of the cultivators are small and scattered i.e. 86.4% of the
farmers are small and marginal. Most of the holdings are self-cultivated. About 18.5% of the cultivated area is under irrigation and remaining 81.5% of the area is rainfed. The cultivation is carried out right from 240 to 4250 meters above sea level. Agro-climatically the mid high hill region is more suitable for growing off-season vegetables and temperate fruits. Animal Husbandry and Fisheries also generate wealth and employment in Agriculture Sector.
During the last 61 years of Planning, the foodgrain production has increased from 2 lakh to 16 lakh MT, Vegetable production from 0.25 lakh to 6.27 lakh MT during the 9th Five Year Plan Period. During the 10th Five Year Plan period, the Department has achieved the level of foodgrain production 15 lakh MT and Vegetable production 10 lakh MTagainst the target of 18.75 lakh MT and 10 lakh MT respectively inspite of unfavourable agro-climatic conditions.As such during 11th five year plan period ,the Department of Agriculture has anticipated to achieve the level of Foodgrain Production 16.00 lakh MT and vegetable production 13.00 lakh MT.The comparitive statement w.e.f.9th plan period to onwards and crop wise/season wise area and production of crops in HP during 2011-12 and targets for 2012-13 are given as under :-